Thursday 1 August 2013

My Essentials - Nail Care

I've just taken off my gradient mani ready for something new and I thought this would probably be a good time to tell you what my essentials nail products are when it comes to taking care of my nails.

Everyone's nails are different, so what works for me may not work for you. I learned this from my first nail blog obsession, Loodie Loodie Loodie. It was this lady that taught me the science side of nails and she has super informative posts on all sorts of subjects, from the importance of moisturising to the right and wrong ways to file your nails. She hasn't posted for a while now but some of her info is great.

It was also Loodie that lead me to the discovery of my most important nail essential, Pure Nail Oil, made by a lovely lady called Ana. But my love for that deserves its very own post so I'm only mentioning it in passing.

So my essentials are as follows:



Acetone - I find that using acetone actually dries my nails out LESS than standard polish remover. This may be because it is quicker at dissolving the polish and is therefore in contact with my nails for less time than standard remover. I pick mine up from my local Sally's and a 500ml bottle is usually around £3.50. I also massage olive oil into my cuticles before removing my polish which helps to minimise drying out, especially when swatching a lot in a small space of time.

Orange Sticks - After doing myself a mischief with a metal cuticle remover these little babies are now the only thing I use to remove my cuticles. They're also really useful for nail art. I just pop a little dab of clear nail varnish on the end and use them to pick up and place gems and studs on my nails.You can pick them up pretty much anywhere that sells beauty products.

Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover - I find that this is the easiest to use, and most effective cuticle remover that I've tried. I use it once a week, apply around my cuticles, leave for 15-30 seconds and then gently push back my cuticles with my trusty orange stick and follow up with a swipe along the cuticle line with a cotton bud to remove the dissolved cuticle.

Nail Brush - Pretty self explanatory but I like to give my nails a good scrub after taking off polish.

Save The Nail in Bridge the Ridge - This is an awesome ridge filling base coat that has stopped my need for buffing the bejeezus out of my nails. If I'm wearing a mani that doesn't require undies then this is my go to base coat.

And finally...my crowning glory... Pure Nail Oil - I keep the bottle at home and take the little pen out and about with me. I use this nail oil 4 or so times a day; first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and then a couple of random applications throughout the day. This really is fantastic stuff.

So, they are my essentials. I hope you found this post helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 comment:

  1. Wow fantastic post on nail care routine.I really love taking care of my nails always looking at them. I've been using Pure Nail Oil it is really amazing.i use this oil once or twice a day.I picked up it using Boots offers from https://www.savingtree.co.uk/search-page/offer_cat/health-beauty/ to save my beauty budget.Great post loved your blog thank you

    ReplyDelete